Friday, March 9, 2012

Why Jonesboro, Arkansas is Better than the Bahamas: A Response

I saw an article recently where the author was talking about vacationing in Jonesboro, Arkansas.  The author speaks of the "slow pace" of life for "'country' folk" and the "relatively stress free" lives we all lead.  Now, if you haven't read the original article (Why Jonesboro, Arkansas is Better than the Bahamas) then I advise you do so before you read my response.  But here I take the opportunity to address some of the statements made about the place where I live--Jonesboro, Arkansas.

I am originally from North Carolina and I have lived in small towns and large cities prior to moving to Jonesboro, AR.  I have enjoyed living in Jonesboro because this is where my husband and I bought our first home, it's where I have made some wonderful friends, it's where I have a job that I really enjoy, and it's where my son was born.  Tom Fuentes made some statements I agree with, such as, "[there are] plenty of open space, trees and lakes and friendly people to enjoy."  Yes, you don't have to go far to find some outdoor space to let your pets or children play, but let me assure you while we do have bushels of nice, enjoyable people, we too have our share of assholes--no place is immune.  The more glaring issues to me are his gross generalizations and statements reflecting opinions masquerading as fact.  Fuentes paints a picture of Jonesboro, Arkansas that resembles Little House on the Prairie, which is a flawed view of our city.

First let me address the issue of diversity.  Fuentes states that Jonesboro is "a surprisingly diverse city."  However the statistics don't really reflect this.  Seventy-seven percent of the population is White, 16% Black, 4% Hispanic and 1% Asian.  In a city with a population close to 75,000 individuals, only 1,430 are foreign born.  Four percent of households have unmarried partners, and a tiny .2% of the population is gay.  The major religion is Southern Baptist, representing 47% of the population.  These statistics do not scream diversity to me.

The second thing I would like to address is Fuentes image of "country living."  The picture he paints of Jonesboro is a city where you can "hear silence, crickets, and not one police siren or honking horn."  We all "eat delicious home cooked meals," "rise early and leave work early" and "enjoy napping and leisure activities."  Wow!  That sounds like a place where I want to live. The truth is we work just as hard as any other people, in other place.  In fact, I would make the argument that many of the farmers around Jonesboro, AR work harder than most.  If they get up early and quit early it's because the heat is so intense in Arkansas that you have to work early in the day, sometimes as early as 4am.  I don't know many people who are afforded the luxury of getting to take naps during the day, no matter where they live.  It is quiet sometimes, but we have our share of sirens or horns honking (although at 3am the horns are more likely to be from a passing train than an automobile).  Fuentes states that he has family in DC but he rarely sees them because "[e]veryone's too busy."  Being in a place like Jonesboro doesn't automatically make you closer to your family and doesn't mean you see them more often.  It does mean that people who want to spend time with their families make it a priority, no matter where they live, and maybe this visit will help you re-evaluate yours.

The third issue I take with Fuentes argument is that "[p]eople in Jonesboro look younger and relatively stress free."  While I assume this was meant as a compliment it also implies that our lives are void of the "stresses" that one would find in other cities.  We are people just like other people, who too have stress of jobs, family, money and multiple responsibilities.  Stress is not unique to large cities.  Perhaps some of the stresses are different, but they are none less-severe.  On a city level, unemployment is close to 8%, the obesity rate is approximately 29 percent and we have tornadoes at a frequency 232% higher than the average US city.  So, don't let anyone fool you into believing our life is a stress-free one.

And the final issue I would like to address is the issue of crime.  Fuentes states that "[d]oors are left unlocked without a care in the world. Kids can run around without much parental concern."  There may be some people in Jonesboro, Arkansas who leave their doors unlocked and kids unsupervised-- I am not one of these people.  I left my car unlocked once (in our small, suburban neighborhood) and had things stolen from my car.  Yes, I feel safe here, and that's one reason we chose to live here, but we are not the town of Mayberry from the Andy Griffith Show, this is a real place that does have some crime.  Our city may only have 26 registered sex offenders to your 883, but we are also much smaller in population.  Per 100,000 people the incident of rape crimes is actually higher in Jonesboro, Arkansas than it is in Washington, DC (32.6 Jonesboro, 30.6 DC).  Thefts per 100,000 people were actually fairly similar (2,402 Jonesboro, 2,999 DC).  So, while I do feel safe here, I don't feel stupid--I lock my door and suggest you do the same.

Finally, I would like to say that I appreciate your overall view of our city.  It sounded reminiscent of a quaint southern town you might see in movies.  But therein lies our problem--it also sounded reminiscent of every southern stereotype insinuating living in "small" (albeit a subjective term) town means living a slow life.  We may talk slower (although those who know me know that stereotype doesn't hold true here either), but we move just as quickly.  The world spins just as fast in Jonesboro, Arkansas as it does in Washington, DC.

Tom Fuentes visited Jonesboro on vacation.  Vacation should be stress free. You are going somewhere that is not where you live and work on a daily basis.  How often in your daily life do you reminisce about a past vacation and say, "I wish I could be back in [fill in the blank]?"  That's what makes a vacation wonderful, and I am glad that Fuentes has those memories of this place I now call home---despite his rose colored glasses.  I am a southern girl and like living in Jonesboro, but it's a real place, not a town in after-school tv special.  But, if you are curious--just check it out for youself!

* All statistics cited from citi-data.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment