Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Flying with Toddler and Celiac

Last week was spring break so Cameron and I headed to North Carolina to see my parents.  Despite three adults (my mother, father and myself) getting the Rotavirus and Cam getting an ear infection, we still managed to have a good trip.  The part I am always the most nervous about is traveling with a toddler. 
In Cam's short 16 month-old life he has made several long car trips (10 hours or more) and flown 4 times. And yet, every single time we fly I get insanely nervous.  I have boiled down the core reasons for my nervousness to the following: 1) I fly sans husband, so I am solely responsible for the care and entertainment of this child, 2) toddlers are unpredictable!, 3) my child has never been able to nap well (or at all) in cars or planes, making travel timing imperative, and 4) there is always a possibility of things going wrong (i.e. delayed/cancelled flights or lost luggage).

So, I am going to share what I did to prepare for flying with my toddler. 

Before going to the airport:  Especially when traveling alone with your toddler it is imperative you can get everything you need in and out of the airport by yourself.  I had to take a suitcase, a car seat, and Cam in a stroller.  I bring a case to put the car seat in and I always check the car seat so I don't have to tote it around the airport.  On Delta (and many other airlines) car seats ship for free, so always ask when checking luggage.  I brought along a bungee cord to hook the car seat to the top of the suitcase, so I could push that with one arm while pushing the stroller with the other hand.   I use an umbrella stroller because they are easier to break down at security and to check plane-side.

Success!


At the airport:  I checked the suitcase and the car seat.  I had a diaper bag and a purse.  Clean out everything before you get to the airport so you know there aren't liquids you aren't aware of or anything that might get you stopped for security search (I put ANYTHING that might get me searched in my checked luggage, including nail clippers or my allergy nasal spray).  I don't wear shoes that are hard to take off, belts, jewelry (other than wedding ring and stud earrings), jackets, scarves or anything else I will have to remove at security.  The idea is to streamline! 

You are allowed to bring liquid medication and baby food (as well as breast milk or formula, but we are past that stage) if a child is traveling with you.  I always put these items in a separate plastic ziploc so they can go through x-ray easily and I have yet to have any issues.  Just tell the TSA agent as you are going through you have baby food and medication.

At security:  Keep out license and boarding pass until you clear the first TSA agent.  Put up license but keep out boarding pass.  DO NOT even get in the security line if your ticket does not say "infant in arms."  Check with the ticket agent first to double check you have a ticket and seat on the plane that is appropriate for children (only specific places on a plane have extra oxygen masks).

Hold baby, break down stroller.  Stroller goes through first so it's the first thing to come through the other end--that way you can put baby back in the stroller while you gather your items and put your shoes back on.  Take off shoes, put shoes and purse in one container.  Take out your plastic bag of any liquids or gels.  Put on top of the purse and shoes.  Second bucket, diaper bag.  Push all through x-ray.

On the way to gate:  Stop to get water, juice or milk for baby and something for you.  Stop at a restroom to change diaper and go to the bathroom.   Once you find your gate let the baby run around for a little bit to use up some of that energy!

Boarding:  Board first!  When they announce boarding for people needing extra time, you are that person!  Plane-side check the stroller and get on the plane.  I always try to sit in the bulk-head seat (first row) so Cam can't kick the seat in front of us and we have a little extra leg room.  The bad news is you can not keep carry-ons with you during take off and landing in the front row because there is no storage in front of you (in small regional planes with no first class cabin).  In the front row I put our carry-ons in the overhead bin and keep down a sippy cup, one snack, a small book, and Cam's lovie.  After take-off you can retrieve your bags for additional entertainment.

During the flight:  Make sure you have something for babies to drink on take-off and landing, it will ensure they keep swallowing thus reducing the pressure in their ears.  I use watered down juice.  I usually only give Cam water or milk, so the juice ensures he keeps drinking during take-off and landing.   Snacks, snacks, snacks.  I know it's not the healthiest idea to let my child eat an entire container of (fill in the blank with snack of your choosing), but it keeps him quiet.  Cam ate every snack I had available.  After snacks I broke out the new sticker book I had gotten for the occasion.  Although he was still too young to really "get it" he loved sticking the stickers on the arm rests and on my face (make sure to get re-positionable stickers). Between the snacks and the stickers Cam was fairly well entertained.  It was a short flight and he did really well.  The return flight I did have to break out the IPod with some baby apps I had downloaded (Fisher Price has a couple of cute ones) because he really want to get down and walk around, but we made it through.
A few of our favorite gluten-free snacks for baby

The GIANT sticker book--great entertainment!


What's in my diaper bag?  Pull-up diapers (try changing a diaper in an airplane bathroom and you will understand why), wipes, large sticker book, IPod, pacifer (just in case), sippy cup (remember to leave empty through security), snacks (lots!), baby food pouches (love these!), pad of paper, Tylenol, and a change of clothes (again--just in case).  After security I add a bottle of water and a bottle of juice as well.

In my purse:  Try to take it down to the necessities, wallet, chapstick, anti-bacterial hand sanitizer, Dramamine (I get motion sickness), pen (for Cam to draw with), some gluten free snacks and my phone.  When I fly I always take Larabars and Kind Plus bars because they are gluten free, packed with protein, don't fall apart, and are quick and easy!  You can often get fruit in the airport, and Starbucks is great about having veggie and cheese snack trays.

My favorite gluten-free snack/protein bars


Mostly importantly (and most difficult for me) is to remain calm!  Not to compare my child to a dog, but I really do sense his anxiety rising when mine is, so I try (as much as possible) to stay calm.  As my dad told me the last time I flew, "either people have children and 'get it' or they don't have children and they never will."  


1 comment:

  1. I've nominated you for a blog award- check out my post for details.
    http://sandypages.blogspot.com/2012/04/i-won-award.html

    ReplyDelete